Businesses can create positions that are not attached to an event:
- Ongoing: perfect for when you need a reoccurring role filled (e.g. board position, coaching) that may or may not be scheduled over a duration of time (e.g. 1 hour a week for 3 months).
- Flexible: offers the freedom to have volunteers apply for a position and then fit the role to their schedule. This allows you to communicate whether the role is casual, reoccurring, and may or may not be scheduled.
- Virtual: if you would like more information about virtual postings please click here.
The creation of positions is fairly straightforward, but we have shared some tips and best practices below, so you can make sure you get the most out of Do Some Good! Use the links to quickly access the section you need:
- Accessing Position Creation
- Position Creation Tips
- Publishing Options
- Sharing: Best Practices
- Duplicating a Position
- Editing a Position
ACCESSING POSITION CREATION
- Go to your "Management" area using the dropdown menu under your company name, choose the 'Positions & Events' page, and then the "Volunteer Positions" tab.
- Click the "+ Add Position" button dropdown and choose from one of the 2 following options:
- "Open to Applicants" - This simply means that you are looking for new volunteers. It allows you to recruit your employees or members from the community. You will later have the choice to publish the position, which adds it to the 'Get Involved' page, as well as your company's profile. Or, you can choose to only publish it to your profile.
- "Closed (Existing volunteers only)" This means that the position is historical, or needs no application or scheduling. If you had a group that had volunteered for you in the past or if you have a board that currently volunteers and wanted all of them to receive recognition for this position, have it show on their profiles and have hours logged for it, then create a closed position. Simply send your volunteers the link, they click one button and it will auto-approve them, auto-log the hours you set and make sure that all volunteers have the same position on their profiles, rather than requiring each of them to add the position themselves.
- Choose to duplicate a position you have previously used (which copies all information about the position: name, description, requirements, etc.. ) and click "next" OR choose which type of position you would like to create. See description below.
POSITION CREATION - Tips
*The following could differ slightly depending on which type of position you choose to create.
- Impact: let volunteers know what will be the result of their time being given - 140 characters max (This text will appear on the position's card as well as on the profiles of volunteers who have applied for the position)
- Position Photo (optional): If an image is not uploaded, this will default to your event photo. For recommendations on best sizes and formats, hover over the 'upload' button
- This Position is also Good For: choose audiences that can fulfill this position. Users will be able to use advanced search options on the "Get Involved" page to narrow all positions posted by these criteria. Note: This does not mean your position will only be found by people choosing these; it means all people will see your position, but IF people choose to narrow their search by these, it will be found
- Requirements: let volunteers know if they need a criminal record check, need to complete an orientation, etc... Press "Add new" to add as many as needed. Follow-up on these requirements can be done using the messaging functionality
- Skills Associated with this Position: choose the top 3 skills that are needed for the position. This is not required, but is highly recommended as users will be searching for positions by skill choice
- Deadline for Applications: this can be the day of the event or if you need to have secured positions by a certain date, it can be set prior to the event
- Location (optional): enter where you expect the volunteers to meet (this could be entered and set differently for each different volunteer position). When you add the location, users will be able to click the word "map" and view the location via Google Maps.
Save as Draft: will save it and allow you to make event and position information changes later before the public views it. This can be accessed by going to your company drop-down, choosing "Management" and then clicking the 'Events' page and then the "Positions and Events" tab. Drafts will be appear as yellow with the word "Draft". When you are ready, click on the draft and you can choose to publish the position.
Publish: For each of the positions created for this event: you can instantly publish them by pressing "Publish", so the entire community can see them on the "Get Involved" page and from your company's profile page.
- Publish to Profile Only: If you want to control signups and not have your position open to the entire community, you can choose to publish the position only to your profile and it will not appear on the 'Get Involved' page. You can then share the link with specific volunteers.
NOW SHARE! BEST PRACTICES FOR RECRUITMENT
Once you have created your position, volunteers/employees will be able to find it via the Get Involved page or via your profile. There are some additional ways to drive increased traffic to get an increased number of interested volunteers:
- From the position page, press 'Share' and choose 'Do Some Good'. This auto-creates a story post that will drive traffic and increase awareness about how people can get involved! (As an admin, you can choose to post this to employees only).
If you are engaging the public (the community and potential customers):
- You may want to press 'Share' and share to social media
- Then press 'Share' and choose "Share link" and send this via email (mailing list) or a newsletter
DUPLICATING A POSITION
You can create multiple positions easily by going back to the Events and Positions page and selecting the position you would like to re-create from the drop down menu. From there you can edit and change the information you need to create a new position.
EDITING A POSITION
Don't worry if you have made a mistake along the way. You can always go back and edit all of your positions. Just return to the Events and Positions page in your management area, and click on the position you would like to change. From there you can click on any of the areas to edit the information.
*Be sure to click the save button or check mark to save the changes you have made to your position