Raise awareness of your events and track attendance and recruit volunteers if needed. Enjoy the flexibility of publishing events as public or private to engage employees, customers, youth, and the general public.
- Positions & Events Walkthrough (Webinar - 24 min)
- Creating an Event - Tips
- Publishing Options
- Best Practices for Promoting Your Event
Positions & Events Walkthrough (Webinar - 24 min)
Creating an Event - Tips
To create an event, head to the "Positions & Events" page in your left-hand navigation and click on the "Events" tab. Then click on the green "New Event" button.
As you fill in the different event fields, here are some tips to help you out:
- What is “Allow attending and RSVPs without needing to volunteer.”? This allows people to let you know if they can make it to your event or not (see image). It helps you to track attendance and be able to easily communicate with attendees. You would only likely uncheck this option if you are solely focused on volunteerism and not about promoting the event to potential attendees.
- “Permissions” Tips: Enjoy flexibility at its finest! If you want to have a private event for employees or customers (e.g. Blood drive), you can choose the audience you want the event to be visible to. You can also have a public event (e.g. Fundraiser) to raise awareness and set up private positions later that are just for your staff.
- “Visibility” Tips: Keep all options checked to maximize visibility. If you choose that only employees can access the event (in permissions), then these visibility options only apply to that audience. E.g. if you have a private event for employees and you keep the box checked that says “On your business profile page”, only those people connected to your company as employees on Do Some Good will be able to view it at that location on the platform and will be private from all other users.
- Need to make changes? Maybe the date or time has changed or you accidentally made the event private instead of public. No worries. You can edit the event details at any time.
- This Event Benefits / Supporters & Sponsors: Part of the benefit of making connections on Do Some Good is that your ambassadors can help share your story and spread the word. By adding the organizations that your event supports or other Supporters & Sponsors, they’ll be encouraged to help you promote the event. They will be notified once you press “Publish” or, if you’ve already published the event, they will be notified immediately after being added. If it’s a private event, they won’t be notified (not to worry).
- Volunteer Positions: Need volunteers to help with the event? You can add one or many and also add shifts for specific times they are needed. For more details on creating positions, click HERE. We’ve also made it easier so that you can link positions to events later.
- Attendees: If you’ve allowed attendees to RSVP, this is where you will see who’s able to come and who’s not. With one click, you can easily message all attendees (before, during or after) and you can download a CSV file to use as a printable registration list!
- Saved as Draft: When you create an event it is always created as a draft. Drafts will appear on your 'Positions & Events' page (and on the Events tab) in orange with the word "Draft". Only other business administrators for your company will be able to see the draft until it is published.
- Publish: You can publish your event from the top of the event details page in your business management area. Once published, all of your beneficiaries and supporters will be notified.
Best Practices for Promoting Your Event
Once you have created and published your event, your audience will be able to find them via the “Visibility” locations you chose (e.g. Get Involved page or via your profile). There are some additional ways to drive increased traffic to get an increased number of interested attendees and volunteers:
From the event page or when managing the Event, press 'Share'. You can choose to share the event to the social networks of your choice. If you are wanting to drive traffic to your event via an email or newsletter, simply copy and paste the direct link. You can also choose the 'Do Some Good' option, which will auto-create a story post that will be seen on the newsfeed. (As an admin, you can choose to post this to employees only).
- BONUS: If you have widgets embedded (e.g. website, intranet), it will get extra exposure via these integrations. Don’t have widgets embedded...you should! Learn more HERE.
- EXTRA BONUS: If you share your event as a story post on Do Some Good, in locations where we have media partners, your event would also gain additional views and interactions via the media!