Businesses can create events that benefit local causes and organizations.
- Businesses can create events that have one or many volunteer positions.
- Events can be private and for employees only, or you can engage the general public (potential customers) in your company's cause marketing efforts by posting publicly.
- This can be accessed from your company's "Management" area by going to the 'Positions & Events' page, selecting the 'Events' tab and clicking the "+ New Event" button. Interested in creating volunteer position that is not part of a specific event? Click HERE.
The creation of events and positions is fairly straightforward, but we have shared some tips and best practices below to make sure you get the most out of Do Some Good! Use these links to access the section you need:
- Creating an Event - Tips
- Creating Positions - Tips
- Publishing Options
- Sharing: Best Practices
- Creating Multiple Positions / Editing
EVENT CREATION - Tips
- Select a Non-Profit or Charity beneficiary, or invite them if they are not currently using Do Some Good, and click "Next Step".
- Event creation: You will first create an event (including details about it) before creating one or many positions for this event.
- Event photo (optional): Volunteers and employees are more likely to view events and positions that have engaging images. If you do not upload an image, this will default to your business' logo. If you hover over the upload button, it will give you tips for best image size and format.
POSITION CREATION - Tips
*Now that you have created an Event, you can create one or many volunteer positions for the event. Don't worry, all of this is editable once you publish, including the name of the role.
- Impact: let volunteers know what will be the result of their time being given - 140 characters max (This text will appear on the position's card as well as on the profiles of volunteers who have applied for the position)
- Position Photo (optional): If an image is not uploaded, this will default to your event photo. For recommendations on best sizes and formats, hover over the 'upload' button
- This Position is also Good For: choose audiences that can fulfill this position. Users will be able to use advanced search options on the "Get Involved" page to narrow all positions posted by these criteria. Note: This does not mean your position will only be found by people choosing these; it means all people will see your position, but IF people choose to narrow their search by these, it will be found
- Requirements: let volunteers know if they need a criminal record check, need to complete an orientation, etc... Press "Add new" to add as many as needed. Follow-up on these requirements can be done using the messaging functionality
- Skills Associated with this Position: choose the top 3 skills that are needed for the position. This is not required, but is highly recommended as users will be searching for positions by skill choice
- Deadline for Applications: this can be the day of the event or if you need to have secured positions by a certain date, it can be set prior to the event
- Location (optional): enter where you expect the volunteers to meet (this could be entered and set differently for each different volunteer position). When you add the location, users will be able to click the word "map" and view the location via Google Maps.
- Save as Draft: This will save it and allow you to make event and position information changes later before the public views it. Drafts will be appear on your 'Positions & Events' page in yellow with the word "Draft". When you are finished any necessary changes, you can choose to publish.
- Publish Privately: No approval is needed from the beneficiary. Only employees will be able to see private events (from the "Get Involved" page and on your business profile). Public volunteers will not be able to view or apply for this position.
- Publish Publicly: Approval from the beneficiary is required before this position is viewable by the public. Choose this to engage your employees, as well as the general public.
NOW SHARE! BEST PRACTICES FOR RECRUITMENT
Once you have created your event/position(s), volunteers/employees will be able to find them via the Get Involved page or via your profile. There are some additional ways to drive increased traffic to get an increased number of interested volunteers:
- From the event and/or position pages, press 'Share' and choose 'Do Some Good'. This auto-creates a story post that will drive traffic and increase awareness about how people can get involved! (As an admin, you can choose to post this to employees only).
If you are engaging the public (the community and potential customers):
- You may want to press 'Share' and share to social media
- Then press 'Share' and choose "Share link" and send this via email (mailing list) or a newsletter
CREATING MULTIPLE POSITIONS (for an Event)
When you are creating an event, you can easily create multiple positions for one event.
- Once you finish your first position and press "Publish", you will be directed to a second create position page with most of the information already filled out.
- Repeat this process for as many positions as needed.
- When you are creating your last position, be sure to check "I'm done adding positions to this event".
If you need to create additional positions later on simply:
- Go back to your Management area,
- Choose "Positions & Events" and click the "Events" tab,
- On the event card, click "+ New Position."
*Don't worry you can always go back to edit an event through your "Events" tab in your Management Area.