Raise awareness of your events. Track attendance and recruit volunteers if needed. Enjoy the flexibility of publishing events as public or private.
All event creation and management is accessed from your organization's "Management" area by going to the 'Positions & Events' page, selecting the 'Events' tab. We’ve added new filters and views to make it quick and easy to access the information you need.
The creation of events is quick and easy, but we have shared some tips and best practices below to make sure you get the most out of Do Some Good!
Use these links to access the section you need:
You may also be interested in digging into some deeper details about Event and Position Management once you have created the event (e.g. Communications System, Approvals). Click HERE to learn more.
EVENT CREATION - Tips
- What is “Allow attending and RSVPs without needing to volunteer.”? This allows people to let you know if they can make it to your event or not (see image). It helps you to track attendance and be able to easily communicate with attendees. You would only likely uncheck this option if you are solely focused on volunteerism and not about promoting the event to potential attendees.
- “Permissions” Tips: Enjoy flexibility at its finest! If you want to have a private event for, you can choose the audience you want the event to be visible to. You can also have a public event (e.g. Fundraiser) to raise awareness and set up private positions later.
- “Visibility” Tips: Keep all options checked to maximize visibility. If you choose that only existing volunteers can access the event (in permissions), then these visibility options only apply to that audience. E.g. if you have a private event for existing volunteers and you keep the box checked that says “On your organization profile page”, only those people connected to your organization as existing volunteers on Do Some Good will be able to view it at that location on the platform and will be private from all other users.
Your event is still in draft mode after step 1, so you can make changes and complete next steps before it goes live.
- Need to make changes? Maybe the date or time has changed or you accidentally made the event private instead of public. No worries. You can edit the event details at any time.
- This Event Benefits / Supporters & Sponsors: Part of the benefit of making connections on Do Some Good is that those you collaborate with can help share your story and spread the word. By adding other organizations that your event supports, they’ll be encouraged to help you promote the event. They will be notified once you press “Publish” or, if you’ve already published the event, they will be notified immediately after being added. If it’s a private event, they won’t be notified (not to worry).
- Volunteer Positions: Need volunteers to help with the event? You can add one or many and also add shifts for specific times they are needed. For more details on creating positions, click HERE. We’ve also made it easier so that you can link positions to events later.
- Attendees: If you’ve allowed attendees to RSVP, this is where you will see who’s able to come and who’s not. With one click, you can easily message all attendees (before, during or after) and you can download a CSV file to use as a printable registration list!
- Saved as Draft: When you create an event it is always created as a draft. Drafts will appear on your 'Positions & Events' page (and on the Events tab) in orange with the word "Draft". Only other administrators for your organization will be able to see the draft until it is published.
- Publish: You can publish your event from the top of the event details page in your organization management area. Once published, all of the other organizations that you've listed as beneficiaries will be notified.
NOW SHARE! BEST PRACTICES FOR PROMOTION
Once you have created and published your event, your audience will be able to find them via the “Visibility” locations you chose (e.g. Get Involved page or via your profile). There are some additional ways to drive increased traffic to get an increased number of interested attendees and volunteers:
From the event page or when managing the Event, press 'Share'. You can choose to share the event to the social networks of your choice. If you are wanting to drive traffic to your event via an email or newsletter, simply copy and paste the direct link. You can also choose the 'Do Some Good' option, which will auto-create a story post that will be seen on the newsfeed.
- BONUS: If you have widgets embedded (e.g. on your website), it will get extra exposure via these integrations. Don’t have widgets embedded...you should! Learn more HERE.
- EXTRA BONUS: If you share your event as a story post on Do Some Good, in locations where we have media partners, your event would also gain additional views and interactions via the media!