Organizations can create events that have one or many volunteer positions. This can be accessed from your organization's "Management" area by going to the 'Positions & Events' page.
If you're interested, take 4 minutes to view our video that gives an overview of how you can use Do Some Good to Recruit Volunteers and Gain Increased Support.
The creation of events and positions is fairly straightforward, but we have shared some tips and best practices below, so you can make sure you get the most out of Do Some Good! Use the links to quickly access the section you need:
- Creating an Event - Tips
- Creating Positions - Tips
- Publishing Options
- Sharing: Best Practices
- Creating Multiple Positions / Editing
EVENT CREATION - Tips
- HOW: You will first create the event and information about it before creating one or many positions for this event.
- Event photo (optional): volunteers are more likely to view events and positions that have engaging images. If you do not upload an image, this will default to your organization's logo. If you hover over the upload button, it will give you tips for best image size and format.
- Optionally, choose the top 3 causes that your event supports (*for a better chance of your event positions being recommended to volunteers, make sure this field is filled out)
- Optionally, choose a 'Business Sponsor'. You can only choose 1, so you may choose the main/lead sponsor of your event. Their business logo will show up on your event page (as 'Sponsored by') and the event will not only be viewable from the get involved page and your organization's profile, but also from the business' profile. *The business must be a user of Do Some Good to access this feature.
POSITION CREATION - Tips
*Now that you have created an Event, you can create one or many volunteer positions for the event. Don't worry, all of this is editable once you publish, including the name of the role.
- Impact: let volunteers know what will be the result of their time being given - 140 characters max (This text will appear on the position's card as well as on the profiles of volunteers who have applied for the position)
- Position Photo (optional): If an image is not uploaded, this will default to your event photo. For recommendations on best sizes and formats, hover over the 'upload' button
- This Position is also Good For: choose audiences that can fulfill this position. Users will be able to use advanced search options on the "Get Involved" page to narrow all positions posted by these criteria. Note: This does not mean your position will only be found by people choosing these; it means all people will see your position, but IF people choose to narrow their search by these, it will be found
- Requirements: let volunteers know if they need a criminal record check, need to complete an orientation, etc... Press "Add new" to add as many as needed. Follow-up on these requirements can be done using the messaging functionality
- Skills Associated with this Position: choose the top 3 skills that are needed for the position. This is not required, but is highly recommended as users will be searching for positions by skill choice (*for a better chance of your event positions being recommended to volunteers, make sure this field is filled out)
- Deadline for Applications: this can be the day of the event or if you need to have secured positions by a certain date, it can be set prior to the event
- Location (optional): enter where you expect the volunteers to meet (this could be entered and set differently for each different volunteer position). When you add the location, users will be able to click the word "map" and view the location via Google Maps.
- Save as Draft: will save it and allow you to make event and position information changes later before the public views it. This can be accessed by going to your organization drop-down, choosing "Management" and then clicking the "Positions and Events" tab. Drafts will be appear as yellow with the word "Draft". When you are ready, click on the draft and you can choose to publish the position.
- Publish: For each of the positions created for this event: you can instantly publish them by pressing "Publish", so the entire community can see them on the "Get Involved" page.
- Publish to Profile Only: These positions will not show up on our "Get Involved" page
NOW SHARE! BEST PRACTICES FOR RECRUITMENT
Once you have created your event/position(s), volunteers will be able to find them via the Get Involved page. There are some additional ways to drive increased traffic to get an increased number of interested volunteers:
- From the event and/or position pages, press 'Share' and choose 'Do Some Good'. This auto-creates a story post that will drive traffic and increase awareness about how people can get involved!
- Then press 'Share' and share to social media
- Then press 'Share' and choose "Share link" and send this via email (mailing list) or a newsletter
- Conduct outreach by accessing a list of volunteers that are interested!
CREATING MULTIPLE POSITIONS (for an Event)
When you are creating an event, you can easily create multiple positions for one event.
- Once you finish your first position and press "Publish"
- You will be directed to a second create position page with most of the information already filled out
- Continue this process for as many positions as needed
- When you are creating your last position, be sure to check "I'm done adding positions to this event".
If you need to create additional positions later on simply:
- Go back to your Management page
- Choose "Positions & Events" and choose the "Events" tab.
- Within the event card, click "New Position"
- Continue to go through this process for as many positions as you need for this event
*Don't worry, you can always edit your event/position by going back to your "Position/Events" tab in your Management Area